Rationale


When I first setup my blog for this project I wanted to be able to use it as influence for future projects, broadening my understanding of design. As I had spent nine months in an advertising environment last year I felt it had enhanced my knowledge of this particular design section. Using a blog also meant that I was able to write about my views on the advertising contrasts between the U.S and U.K.
The blog meant I was able to quickly and effectively exchange information with my design peers and discuss the varying advertising campaigns, what their aim was and whether we thought it was an effective approach. One example of this was the discussion of the marketing campaign introduced for the upcoming horror film, paranormal 2. The film studio decided to stick with the original campaign used for the first film, in which audience’s reactions were filmed. This resulted in above average ticket sales for the opening weekend. After discussing it with my fellow designers we felt that the simple campaign worked well because it was able to leave a lot of the film to the publics imagination. Unlike modern horror commercials, which show clips of the movie, paranormal 2 was able to create fear from the viewer because of what they were not seeing.  This constant discussion helped me to further my understanding of the marketing campaigns being used today.
For my blog I focused the majority of my posts on motion work, reviewing films, newly released commercials and music videos. With the blog it meant I was able to garner other peoples thoughts and opinions on the effectiveness of commercials and review other posts that people may have done. I have been able to improve on why particular imagery and dialogue has been used for certain motion pieces. This can be seen through a post about a new Nike commercial, aired in the U.S, featuring a recently disgraced NBA basketball player. It was used as a tongue and cheek look at the recent events that had unfolded. It made me realise that vast contrasts in U.S advertising compared to here in the U.K. The slapstick humour used in the states would not have the desired effect if used here.  This also made me realise that vast amounts of market research that must be needed for a successful advertising campaign, which I never believed to be the most important thing about the design process.
Living in New York City during my Year in Industry was able to broaden my design perspective. Visiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art was able to give me an insight into the development of art from many different historical periods. I was able to further my understanding of the importance of colour, imagery and composition.  One particular piece that astounded me was ‘Autumn Rhythm’ my Jackson Pollock. To actually see the piece in person made me discover the importance of stepping out of your comfort zone when it comes to art, to take chances. 
The architecture, in the U.S, differed greatly. In NYC there were many red stone houses from the 1950s, helping to keep the history of the city. But these were surrounded a grand, tall skyscrapers which were littered all around. Each type of building was able to reveal part of the city’s rich history.
By posting my U.S experience I would hope that I was able to inform people of the vast cultural differences, which effect the way design is approached, preparing them for any future experiences they may have.
Through my blog I was also able to discuss new promotional techniques that may be being employed.  I informed my peers of the recent release of a short film from a rap artist, which tells us a story, whilst involving songs from his album. We decided that this would appeal to his target market, because he is known for doing new and interesting things with his music. By incorporating his music as well, it was able to subtly promote his album to the public. I could see this being a regular occurrence when it comes to promoting albums.
With the growing popularity of social media public blogs have become diluted with posts that were not relevant to any topic. For blogs to be a successful medium for design information, there must be a designated area for particular topics. Similar to what we have accomplished with Glog, people will then be able to fix on their areas interests quickly and effectively. The speed at which information can be exchanged on blogs means that it has the potential to be an important information source, ­­­­ until the information can be concentrated specific design magazines and websites will always be a more useful and informative point of research for designers.
With this in mind, I aimed to make sure that I posted information that I felt would be beneficial to my design peers, helping to exchange the knowledge we have all learnt from our years in industry. ­­­
 

No comments:

Post a Comment