Catch-22.

I read the book, Catch-22, a month ago and it is safe to say that it is one of my favourite books. The story is set at a airbase during the Second World War, where our main character, Yossarian, still can't understand why people that he has never met would want to kill him and main objective is to get grounded by the airbases Doctor before the next mission begins. The story jumps throughout Yossarian's time on the base giving a dark, twisted insight into the lives of men who are desperate to leave the World War alive.
To have such high acclaim for the book I was always going to feel let down by the film, I was not disspointed. They stripped the special tone the book has from the movie and made it seem almost slapstick. The fascinating insight into the pilots lives were rushed, so there was no emotional connection between the viewer and the characters. This brings me back to my old argument about why should there be an adaptation of a book when it is changed so drastically.

No comments:

Post a Comment